Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Teaching update - tough one

Today, I told my class that next week is my last week for the semester (giving the mid-term exam on Monday, then reviewing on Wednesday). I had previously told them why I looked very different from the picture that is on the university Web site - that I had had cancer, lost my hair and some weight, but that I was doing great now.

I was well-prepared and knew that I would tell them I am back on chemo, expected to be tired and it was not fair to them to cancel classes.  Reminded them that I sat down to teach a couple of weeks ago because I was tired.  Explained a little about the cumulative effects of chemo. What I was hoping to not do was get choked up when I told them, but I did. 

They were very quiet while I was talking.  One student touched my arm as she walked out; another sent me a nice e-mail.  Another stayed after and said nice things about my teaching and commented that the class was noticeably melancholy.  Tougher than I thought :)

I did end the class with a joke, so that helped us all.


Hamburger-free day today :)  Chicken for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your students reacted maturely - and you already knew they'd miss you! Glad it went as well as could be expected. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete