She shared this Purim story and connected it to cancer. Click here for short Purim story (For my gentile friends, Purim is a festive holiday celebrating a chapter in the biblical book of Esther. In the story, Haman, royal advisor to King Ahasuerus planned to kill the Jews in the ancient Persian empire, but his plans were foiled by Mordecai and Queen Esther. The day of deliverance became a day of feasting and rejoicing)
And, she shared a story that Rochelle Shoretz, Sharsheret's founder tells. She imagines herself in the doctor's waiting room with all the patients having boxes on their laps. Each box contains each patient's unique makeup - her diagnosis, age at onset, family history, genetics,etc. Rochelle is tempted to look over into everyone's boxes. But why? It's irrelevant.
What the story did is make me think about the good things in my box.
- They found my cancer at all. I had no symptoms, just some weird cells that fell into my pap smear.
- That they found it a second time. I wouldn't have had a CT scan at 9 months if I hadn't been in a research study.
- I am young enough and strong enough to take on aggressive chemo.
- I have great genes. My parents are 92 and 96 and in good health.
- I have a great medical team headed by a smart, energetic oncologist who treats me like a person, not a number.
- I have great support from family and friends and lots of reasons to stay upbeat - has to be good for my healing!!!
Met with my Quinnipiac U public relations class today for the last time. Very hard to say goodbye. This was a good group. They surprised me with flowers, candy and a gift certificate to a local restaurant that I had raved about in class and a lovely note, followed by personal notes from several students. So nice! Good kids!And, rather than fully retiring, I may be staying on as an advisor for the next few semesters. I really like that personal interaction with the students and will keep me busy on a schedule that I can create.
Long winded today - done!

Aruba here you come!
ReplyDeleteWill know in a few hours. Waiting to have blood drawn.
ReplyDeleteAm pulling for you!!!
ReplyDelete