Saturday, April 28, 2012

Good medical updates

On Thursday, went for the final lab follow up and body scan to close out the exercise study.  Only result I get to see is the bone scan.  Following my first chemo, I, as expected from the chemo,  lost some bone density (for younger readers, that's the cause of osteoporosis).  Amazing thing - not expected - was my bone density improved in the past 6 months!  I have very minimal loss at this time - not unusual for my age at all.  I was told to hope it would stay the same - never an improvement.  Have to attribute it to taking calcium and all my exercising.  (Patting myself on the back makes it hard to type right now :)

Yesterday, met with the cardiologist who specializes in cardio/chemo issues - still addressing my occasional shortness of breath.  My heart seems to be AOK.  Best he could say was it's one of those "great mysteries of chemo."  We will follow up in August, about a month after this round of chemo is over.  Seems reasonable to me.

He did give me a pretty compelling talk about the importance of my continuing to exercise to protect my heart.  In fact, he said, it's the only thing that will protect my heart (from chemo and life in general).

So, there I go.  I was concerned about not being motivated to continue to exercise now that the study is over.  I'd have to be crazy to stop.

Leaving the blogging to get on the treadmill right now.

Cousin's son's wedding tonight at a country club in Great Neck.  Gotta pack and get going after the treadmill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment